Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thursday's Gratitude...and Counting

Today, I am thankful for car accidents.

No, I'm not trying to be insensitive, and I hope I'm never in one, but I am grateful for them and have a lot of respect for how easily and fast they can turn peoples life around for good or unfortunately sometimes bad.

About an hour or so ago, I got a call from my dad. First thing he says is, "David is okay, but..." So right off, I know something isn't okay. David is my youngest brother and he is serving a mission in Texas. He is everybody's favorite just because he is so easy going. He took all the good character traits from his siblings and none of the bad.

So anyway, I don't know all the details, but it seems David and his mission companion were in a car accident, or I guess I should say truck accident. His companion was driving apparently and they rolled over a couple times (or so it sounds).

He was taken to the hospital and I guess his legs hurt, but he is alive and trying to walk around.

Car accidents are a reminder how precious life is. They can be accompanied by miracles and/or disasters. Sometimes it is both.

When my brother and his wife died, it was like that. It was tragic and it hurt me so bad. Then again, it was a miracle they both died together and none of their young children were with them. I mean, how often do couples with young children go places together without their kids. They had an amazing few days together, celebrating their anniversary and driving past the site of their first kiss, and I know they were happy.

Anyway, I don't take car accidents lightly, but I am thankful for them and how thought provoking they are. They make you think about how precious life is which I think a lot of us forget. (Some people drive like they're invincible.) On the obvious side, I am so grateful that David is okay and hope and pray he heals fast.

No comments: